A Break from the Big City

9:03 AM


MEL NO. 2 IS WEARING: OLD NAVY COAT (SIMILAR) | KATE SPADE BAG | VINTAGE HEELS | WARBY PARKER FRAMES

Despite the disagreeing weather, this week Mel & I have returned to our respective homes for Spring break! Although there won’t be any sunbathing or tropical vacationing, this break will be filled with copious amounts of much needed downtime and relaxation.

Living in Manhattan leads to never experiencing a dull moment, which can be fun for a while...but extremely taxing on your well-being. Returning to Suburbia has opened my eyes to how strung-out and coffee dependent I’ve become.

Although returning home has made me realize how unhealthy my sleeping and eating habits are, it has also provided an opportunity for self-reflection. Walking around in the low-key air of upstate, I’ve suddenly become aware of how much my personal style has changed and evolved since living in Manhattan. In the big city no one notices or comments on style, the area is so oversaturated with creative people that outrageous styles have become commonplace and expected.

Upstate, every “out of the ordinary” style choice I make is noticed and usually celebrated. My pistachio pea coat is suddenly the talk of the town, and my new vintage block heels are scandalous and exciting. Even my clear glasses are complimented several times a day, something that definitely doesn’t happen in Warby Parker dependent Manhattan.

It’s a refreshing change to be appreciated by others for being different after blending into the background (of an overpopulated city) for months. I encourage everyone to take opportunities to revisit old stomping grounds, you may find that the place hasn’t changed but that will help in discovering how you have grown and changed.

Side note: the pictures above were taken in the lovely downtown area of Saratoga Springs by my equally as lovely Mom!

Sincerely,
Mel & Mel

You Might Also Like

0 comments